Friday, April 8, 2016

Who The Heck Do I Think I Am?

Who Do I Think I Am, Anyway?


Well, who do I think I am?

Who am I to be trying to teach creativity?

I mean, I have a Bachelor’s Degree in music education…

For the longest time, I’ve thought I was a fraud.  Or that I didn’t know enough, or that I was book smart, but not practically smart.
(When you grow up with a mother who constantly tells you that you have no common sense, that really dulls your sparkle.)

And the truth of the matter is, I really don’t have any common sense.  I think and dream big.  I’m a big person with a big personality and a myriad of big ideas.

I’m a huge believer in the old adage, “Shoot for the moon, even if you miss, you’ll land among the stars.”

One of my role models is SARK.  She once said she had 250 jobs before she became a writer.
I haven’t had quite that many.
But I’ve had a lot of different ones.
I’ve been a dishwasher, a deli clerk, a night desk clerk, a tutor, a teacher, a phone interviewer, a Mary Kay beauty consultant, an outbound call center representative, an inbound call center representative, a Lia Sophia jewelry advisor, a secretary, and a virtual assistant.

Now, I’m the Executive Director of this amazing non-profit called the Everybody Can Play Music Collective.  Our mission is to give music lessons to any child in my county who wants them, regardless of ability to pay.  This is my creative dream.

And yet, something keeps lingering in the back of my mind.

I’ve always wanted to help other women reach their creative potential too.  And this desire won’t lie silent in my heart anymore.

As a side business to the Collective, I’d like to spend summers traveling around the country doing creativity retreats.  I’m starting small – a weekend retreat in my hometown this summer, but based on how well that goes, I’m going to look into booking others.

I have lots of ideas here.  Free PDF worksheets, online workshops, and other fun stuff.  

Sharing a lot about those things that have helped me along the way.

And lots about what inspires me, in hopes you’ll also share what inspires you.

Sending love, hugs, and flower petals of inspiration…


No comments:

Post a Comment